AddThis

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

STARTING OVER

Today, I began again. As I laced up my shoes, attached my phone to my arm, and turned on my training app, I said a silent prayer; "Brooks, you have been here before. You can do this. Get out of your own way." So, out the door I go. "Walk for five minutes to loosen your muscles." the training voice, says. "I'll tell you when it is time to start running." The verb running is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. I like to call this activity "wogging". It is the combination of walking and jogging. I have never, and I do mean never been a runner. However, it is a goal I want to reach this year.

Five minutes later, I'm jogging. Feeling good and accomplished for getting this far. I recognize a remarkable feeling in my back. It is upright, firm, strong. My arms swish from side to side, my torso swinging with confidence, and my breath...I am breathing. My lungs are working; in/out/in/out. Now, we are walking. Deeper breaths restore my movement. My mind is clear, and I am full of gratitude. The wogging is a sequence of eight. Half way thru, I am still feeling inspired. I am overwhelmed by the tenacity of my soul and the resilience of my body. Six months of inconsistent physical activity will leave a girl feeling low, a body sluggish, and a heart sad. I see the fire truck wheeling out of the fire station. Hearing their sirens and horns, I gleefully imagine they are cheering me on toward my goal. (Prayers lifted for those they are actually saving.) I appreciate when my neighbor stops me during the cool down and says, "Oh, you've been running again!" HA! I'll take it!  If he thinks I am a runner, maybe I can become one. Yes, yes...THAT is what I will do.

I will learn to run. I will learn to run with all of my heart, mind, body, and soul. The trick for me is to learn to run toward something, instead of away. Have you ever felt you were running from yourself, your job, your relationships, and your life? I have. I recently ran as far away from my career in Higher Education as my diploma would allow. After 10 years in the industry, I quit. I had never quit anything (well, yearbook staff in college). I quit my job. Upon the heart-wrenching and prayerful recommendations of my remarkable mother, godmother, and god-sister, I walked into the human resources department and announced my immediate departure. The breath after such a declaration was priceless. 
For the first time, I saw leaves on trees. During the last six months, I've been blessed to see the barren trees of winter blossom into full shades of green, flowers popping up and pollen flowing freely.  Now, I find myself looking for the next book of my life to write. Healing has taken place over the last chapter. The End nicely stamped. 

Today, the gunshot of a new race began. No particular personal best time to beat, accomplishment medallion, or sticker to be placed in perpetuity. My goals include: Life to be lived, and Joy, peace, and contentment to be found. Oh, and RUNNING...Yes, I will learn to RUN TOWARD LIFE. Will you join me? 





Ps: Thanks to my mother's wisdom, I  am in this place of new beginnings. As a celebration of mothers everywhere, I will continue to offer an additional 10% discount on all new Preferred Customer orders. Contact me today. I will be delighted to celebrate with you!