AddThis

Friday, May 2, 2014

LESSONS AND PLANS

Willie Nelson Concert!

As we mature and begin to take on more responsibility, we search for ways to run our lives, organize our homes, raise our kids (puppies and plants, for some of us), juggle work, and give quality time in relationships. I have often found the wisdom of "plan your work and work your plan" to be helpful. With a background in event planning, I love a plan, a guide, a schematic of space, and the organization of every tiny detail precisely penned. The execution or the "work your plan" part is where the unconscious adrenaline of procrastination can set into my body. I know I will get a kick of energy at the very last minute and go into a tailspin of unhealthy multi-tasking. There is a list; a long list. I LOVE a list. Heck, I even write things on the list that "are complete" just to mark them off as a triumph of success. Please tell me I am not alone! 

Recently, my mother and I met to go to the grocery. Going to town is a planned activity because "town" is not around the corner. It's a haul, and we must prepare. As we met over coffee to fuel our shopping day and divide our lists, Mom mentioned her deep freezer. It had not been inventoried in a while, and she did not want to duplicate purchases. To the back porch we go. Yes, that is where one keeps the deep freeze and the extra fridge (we will get to the extra freezer in the shed, in a bit). In less than 10 minutes, the plan to take a trip to town was out like frozen food bitten by Jack Frost. We were committed, to a NEW plan: Let's empty the deep freezer, defrost it, sort every type of meat and vegetable, and wrap (yes; wrap and label) all of the meat. Then we can sort the veggies into the standing freezer in the shed, and stock the back porch fridge freezer with ready to eat meals! Did you see it?... The birth of a brand new plan. The original one put aside for another day! 

I must tell you, it was a very FUN day. In fact, it made going to town much easier. We even joked about our exact inventory as we walked around Spain's. In essence, our work your plan into another plan worked beautifully! Flexibility can be a beautiful gift. The next time you want to fuss at yourself for getting off track, remember that sometimes you have to take an account of where you are, what you have, and exactly what you need before moving full speed ahead with YOUR plan. 

Silently, I believe my mom was teaching me that lessons. Cheers to her brilliance: teaching me about why the side of the freezer freezes, how to tell the difference between round steak and chuck steak, finding a partner to share in this monumental task, and sharing her amazing laugh throughout the entire day! 


As Featured On EzineArticles








In honor of Mother's Day. I am offering an additional 10% discount on all Preferred Customer orders placed prior to Mother's Day! Celebrate the mother in your life. Contact me for ideas!